• State Question 744 would repeal a section of the State Constitution.
• The repealed section required Legislature to annually spend $42 per common school student.
• State Question 744 would add a new Article to the Constitution. It would set a minimum average amount Oklahoma must annually spend on common schools.
• It would require the State to spend annually, no less than the average amount spent on each student by the surrounding states.
• When the average amount spent by surrounding states declines, State Question 744 states Oklahoma must spend the amount it spent the year before.
• The measure deals with money spent on day-to-day operations of the schools and school districts.
• State Question 744 would require that increased spending begin in the first fiscal year after its passage.
• It requires that the surrounding state average be met in the third fiscal year after passage.
• State Question 744 would not raise taxes, nor would it provide new funding for the new spending requirements.