“Energy and persistence conquer all things.” —Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Welcome to all new and returning students. We hope the fall will be a great semester for each of you. Here are some tips that can help insure that this, and every other, semester is a productive one for you:
1. Attend class. Sometimes students think that because they aren’t in high school anymore, attendance is optional. OCCC expects that you show up and participate. An active learner is a more successful learner. Also, the first day of class exposes you to what the class will entail and all that is expected. If it doesn’t feel like a good fit, make adjustments before it might impact financial aid or your GPA.
2. Get to know people. Talk to your professors. Get acquainted with other students in your classes. Join a student group (or start one of your own if you don’t find an existing group to your liking). The more connected you become, the less isolated (and overwhelmed) you’ll feel.
3. Take advantage of campus resources. OCCC wants students to be successful. That’s why we hire friendly, knowledgeable people, furnish state-of-the-art learning spaces, invest in technology and offer real-time online tutoring for when we aren’t available. Successfully completing classes might be a challenge at times, but it shouldn’t feel like a struggle. Let us know if you need help.
4. Recognize what a unique and special person you are. Learn the strategies and techniques that best fit you. Explore different careers and academic paths that best fit your strengths. Most everyone can “do college,” but not necessarily in the same way.
5. Ask questions so that you can make the best decisions for yourself. It’s easy for any of us to get caught up in the emotion of a situation and react instead of think about our options. Take a deep breath and ask us what we might recommend. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but it will be a more informed decision.
Some of you may subscribe to the myth that it’s the “smart” people who are successful in college and in life. Smart people flunk out and drop out of school every year. Those who are persistent and willing to work hard are the winners in life. We in Student Support Services are standing by to help you have an awesome semester.